Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Nifty Fifty

It took over 2 hours in combined rain delays, 4 scoreless innings from the bullpen, some clutch defense, and some heads up base running. But in taking a 2-0 decision from the Reds Monday night, the Bucs also take over 1st place by a half game. I had to explain to my wife this morning how a half game lead is even possible, no surprise there. The real surprise, at least looking back at the predictions for this team, is that I was explaining that the PIRATES have a half game lead over the Cards and Brewers past the midpoint of July.

I was worried this game wasn't even going to get played.I didn't want the Bucs sitting idle after the break may have cooled some of their momentum. Epic thunder claps and brilliant white lightning bolts filled the skies last night, seeming as if the driving rain may last for days. But nonetheless, the game, and of course the 2011 Pirates played on. It didn't look so great to start, after nearly an hour delay, Morton was throwing A LOT of pitches. He plunked Drew Stubbs to start things off, then allowed a single to Cozart, moving Stubbs to 3rd with 0 outs. Charlie was able to get reigning MVP Joey Votto to hit back to the mound and get the out at 1B with Stubbs holding at 3rd. Brandon Phillips then went down swinging but after missing early, Morton IBB-d Jay Bruce to load the bases with 2 outs.Great Stuff quickly got ahead of Miguel Cairo 0-2, then 1-2, then Rain Delay #2 kicked in.

  The Tarp Covers
Obligatory picture to demonstrate rain delay.

 1 hour and 23 minutes of waiting. After the break, and an airing of Sports Beat Rewind: Jim Leyland (amongst others), We were back in action. Cairo sharply grounded a Morton offering up the middle, looking for sure to be a 2-run scoring single. But Chase d'Arnaud was equal to the task, making a tremendous sliding stop and flipping to the Pride of PR for the force at 2nd. Bruce lifted his front foot while sliding into the bag, allowing JUST enough time to record the out.

Morton settled down after that, allowing a few baserunners here and there, but no serious threats. In the bottom of the 4th the offense got all they would end up needing with back to back singles and a couple of productive outs. d'Arnaud lead off with a single, then advanced to 3rd when the next batter, Walker, singled as well. A Cutch groundout got d'Arnaud home and Walker, after moving to 3rd on the out, scored on a Diaz sac fly. Morton pitched a scoreless 5th, Tony Watson worked 2.2 IP of scoreless ball, The Guy Who Cried got the final out of the eight, and Hammer Time was perfect in the 9th. Final Count- Bucs 2, Reds 0.
50-44!!

Player of the Game:   Charlie Morton #50 Of The Pittsburgh Pirates Pitches
                              Charlie Morton, W, 5.0 IP, 3H, 0R
This was a tough one. In a 2-0 game where 4 pitchers combined for the shutout, I'll go with the man who waited, started, waited, and then pitch another 4 1/3 innings of shutout ball.

Head Scratcher of the Game: Not that it mattered, but did anybody hear why J-Mac was skipped? Looks like he is slated to hurl tonight, though.

Face Palm of the Night: Sorry Cutch, but the GIDP in the First was a killer. After Morton worked out of a jam, the King lead off the bottom of the 1st with a single, then d'Arnaud hit into an FC and Walker singled to put 1st and 2nd with one out. Cutch is the undoubtedly the guy you want coming to the plate in that situation, but he continued his post All Star Game struggles by hitting into the DP. Cutch is 1 for 17 since the break, losing 11 points off of his average. He still has 3 RBI in 4 games, though.

How about this guy, though:

Pittsburgh Pirates' Neil Walker, right, waits out a rain delay in the dugout with teammate James McDonald, left, during the first inning of a baseball game against the Cincinnati Reds in Pittsburgh Monday, July 18, 2011.
What a ridiculously awesome picture
Since the All- Star Break, Walker has gone 9 for 18. He is currently riding a 12 game hitting streak and his average has gone up 29 points, his slug %  up 31 points, and his OPS is up 50 points since July 1st. His overall July numbers are as follows: .434 AVG with a 1.031 OPS, 1 HR, 11 RBI, 8 R, 2 SB, and only 4 K in 14 games. While the power numbers are lagging a bit, Walker is hitting the ball with confidence and getting rewarded. 

How About This Guy #2:
  Alex Presley #44 Of The Pittsburgh Pirates Hits 
Alex "The King" Presley- 17 GP, .352 AVG, 1 HR, 9 RBI. .405 OBP, .926 OPS. 12 runs scored, 4 SB, and some STELLAR defense. Presley is a ball player, plain and simple. He has GREAT speed, good plate presence, is a solid fielder, and plays hard.

The Bucs currently sit in 1st place and are there largely because of the pitching staff. The offensive contributions have come from Cutch and Walker and lately from Presley. The ironic part of where the offense comes from is that Littlefield, the Worst GM perhaps in Sports History, drafted those 3 guys! It certainly doesn't make up for his many other blunders (mostly financially motivated), but it proves every GM wins some and loses some.Littlefield mostly made horrible moves, his best probably being the acquisition of Giles for Rincon, then getting Bay and Perez for Giles, then getting Nady for Perez. All of which was undone in a matter of months.

Anyhow, J-Mac is on the hill tonight facing Mike Leake. McDonald's last start against the Reds saw him go 6 2/3, giving up 1 run on 7 hits and fanning 4. His first start versus Cinci was a rough one, lasting only 4 1/3 and giving 7R, 6 of those earned, on 9 hits. Hopefully, we see a repeat of his more recent start as well as Cutch awakening from his All Star hangover.

32 comments:

  1. "Not that it mattered, but did anybody hear why J-Mac was skipped? Looks like he is slated to hurl tonight, though."

    This is just speculation on my part, but I believe that Hurdle saw the weather report and decided that Morton would deal better dancing through the raindrops, with possible delays and long breaks in the action likely, and they wanted to save McDonald for tonight, when the game should go off in a more traditional manner. Or, as was pointed out last night: HE IS OBVIOUSLY BEING HELD OUT WHILE THEY FINALIZE A TRADE SENDING HIM TO HOUSTON FOR HUNTER PENCE!!!!!!


    Sidenote- During the rain delay last night I was watching the season debut of Hell’s Kitchen on Fox. There is a Pittsburgh girl on there, and she is a total flaming B**ch, but I still instinctively want to see her kick the crap out of the girl from Boston on the show. I guess Black and Yellow roots go deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, you guys put pictures up, the tavern dweebs will show up soon and bitch about them.

    I was surprised that Morton pitched after the rain delay. Many times I have seen the starting pitchers replaced after a long rain delay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to capture the spirit of the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing, Littlefield is not worst GM in the history of north american sports (neither is Bad Deal Neal). That crown goes to Matt Millen of the Detroit Lions. His teams winning percentage is .270. Here is a story from ESPN and Bonifay/Littlefield are ranked 6th worst.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/080925

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the pictures one bit. They bring the blog post to life and I welcome them in all future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was merely a Dickie Dunn/ Slap Shot reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Tavern guys really don't seem to give a crap about you guys. Here's an idea for you Sharky, why don't you actually try and talk about the Pirates.

    I have a question for you guys over here. First I like your site. Anyway I know many people feel this is a lightning in a bottle type of season. With that in mind does anyone think that making a trade could upset the "magic" or "chemistry" of this team? I'm not saying this to try and save Uncle Bob's money either. I don't care if payroll hits 100 mill not that it will.
    Dog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dog: I'm not one to totally dismiss the impact of chemistry with a team, but talent level and luck will go alot further in determining this team's chance of winning a division than how guys feel about each other. The Pirates can do nothing to control the luck part of that scenario, but it sure seems like this may be the year to increase the talent at the trade deadline, especially by adding a power bat of some sort.
    I can't see the chemistry being upset at all if a guy is brought in for prospects and cash only. And even if the Bucs make some sort of blockbuster deal that takes player(s) from the active roster in order to improve their chances, I'm sure winning would offset any chemistry issues and they'd start to get along with the new guys real quick.
    For example: a few Pens fans were dismayed when the team dealt Sid's BFF, fan favorite, and all around good guy Colby Armstrong as part of the package that brought in Pascal Dupuis and some other dude. Many cited losing the chemistry Colby brought as an issue. And yet the team got over its pitty party pretty quick and went to two straight Stanley Cup finals.
    I think adding a deadline player would actually be a huge boost to morale and garner more support amongst the players if it is seen as management clearly telling them: "this is it, we have arrived and we are ready to compete for this thing, now lets do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dog,

    You have no idea what you are talking about because several weeks ago Tavern dipshits were complaining about this site and posting here about the pictures. Yet again you make yourself look likle an idiot while trying to start shit with me. Why don't you look back into the archives? Here's the link.

    http://mutinyonthea.blogspot.com/2011/07/place-for-retardation-and-losers.html

    I did talk about the Pirates, asshole. Specifically Morton. There is a second paragraph in my post that you skipped over in your rush to insult me. I also talked about other stuff like the worst GM ever. Do you actually read anything before you spew your venom? You are definitely a mental case. Please go seek treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Burress,

    I totally missed that reference and I should have because Slap Shot is one of my favorite movies of all time. I feel shame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did anyone else read Collier's column in the PG today? How did they let DK go to the Trib and still keep this guy around?

    http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11200/1161373-150-0.stm

    Here is the formula that I'm sure brought about this journalistic masterpiece:
    1) 2 Joints
    2) A Thesaurus
    3) Last Night's Game Story
    4) A copy of the Pirates Schedule and the NL Standings
    5) Some random story about sharks and swimming

    Mix with a pompous attitude and a pinch of very extra dry humor.
    Half Bake your way to print.

    http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11200/1161373-150-0.stm

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pretty much his formula for everything. Maybe add in something about thinking he's smarter than everybody, too.

    I don't know how they could let a guy like DK get away. A very talented and passionate guy who is always a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharky,
    I read your posts. There isn't a person on the planet who thinks NH is the worst gm ever. Your Morton post was also useless. You have the absolute worst rep on blogs in the world. Stop with your exaggerated sense of self worth. To think people obsess over you like the way you obsess over others is pathetic. I just enjoy riling you up and proving you wrong. Of course it's so easy it's boring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, now that trade rumors are going strong, name the one player the Pirates will REALLYH try to get, not the one we hope they get.

    I feel depending on the price, Pence may be the man. Unless the Astros demand way too much for him.

    Beltran, Pena, Aram dont seem to be good fits, or are rental players at best. Cuddayer is a pipe dream. I really think if the price for Pence isnt too steep, Huntington will try for him.

    Thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
  15. "You have the absolute worst rep on blogs in the world."

    Really? I post on 2 blogs. I am sure there are other posters on other blogs in the world with worse reps. Yet another exaggeration by you that is WRONG. You have a worse rep on Smizblog than I do, why do you think you were banned THREE times.

    "Stop with your exaggerated sense of self worth."

    Where does this come from? YOU are the egotistical blowhard. I think you were looking in a mirror when you wrote this. Wrong again!!

    "To think people obsess over you like the way you obsess over others is pathetic."

    The only one who obsesses over me is you. Did you have to start shit with me with your first post? NO. But you did it anyway so I gave it back to you. You obsess over me more than I obsess over you. You are just mad cause I figure out all your little games and multiple personalities. It isn't that hard because you aren't very smart.

    "I just enjoy riling you up and proving you wrong. Of course it's so easy it's boring."

    You are a huge joke and I know how to drive you nuts and I love doing it. I was personally responsible for at least one if not 2 of your Smizblog bannings. I know how to get you to lose it. It is VERY easy. You have never proved me wrong about anything whereas I have proved you wrong many times. When I do, you move the goalposts and claim victory. It is pretty pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude I've never lost it with you. I find you to be pathetic but amusing. You haven't figured me out yet. You have incorrectly labeled people as me at least a dozen times. I don't move the goalposts at all. You have reading comp issues. Like the time you used the Aram trade as proof that experts were against NH's plan. You have a terrible rep here at smizik's and the tavern. I have a bad rep with a handful of Smizik's people. The funniest thing is you thinking you rile me up. As I sit around drinking beer and laughing. Good one. That or you thinking you're smarter than me. All I'm missing for a Doctoral degree is a dissertation. I have no desire to do it. Get over yourself. I don't have a great sense of self worth I just know I'm smarter than you. Next time I will list all the things I proved you wrong on. It will take awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exactly how do you know peoples reps on an anonymous blog?

    More importantly, why would one care?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Personally, I don't understand why you two decide to turn everything into some sort of internet pissing contest.

    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SeanAY - Its because everyone has pretty much had enough of the Dog needing to enforce how he is correct and somehow there is a win/loss aspect to a persons comment/opinion.

    Pretty much a standard set by American politics in the early part of this century, and now everyone thinks they are right, and must enforce that to anyone who disagrees with them.

    Most people who follow this behaviour are cowards who hide behind the Internet and go to great lengths to create ficticious support of their views.

    Quite sad actually.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And some of you bitch and moan by saying there never is baseball talk.
    Read my 12:51 post for an actual question.
    Thanks for ignoring it.

    I came to this blog so I wouldnt have to put up with Joseph Stalin Smizik and his deletions, and wouldnt have to put up with Dog.

    Guess I need to find another blog that caters to discussion of only corndogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The internet pissing contest, as SeanAY so aptly put it, is lame as hell. Nobody cares to watch you two fight over whose e-peen is bigger.

    roger - I like your last post. Yes, I think if Huntington has a shot at Pence he'll take it...I just thing there's a strong chance he doesn't have the arrows in his quiver that other teams do. He's a prime player. He'll command a lot more than what's been thrown around. Wouldn't be surprised if Pedro Alvarez was demanded in return.

    Yotzee, you hit the bulls eye with your comment about politics in the early 2000's sparking all this winner/loser hate speech. Honestly, before Fox News came along it was at least tolerable mud-slinging, now it seems everyone just wants to kill each other.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yotz--

    But the point is, for how much people claim "just ignore him, he's a troll, he'll go away," there is a HELL of a lot of attention and effort wasted on acknowledging him. It seems counterintuitive to me.

    Roger--

    I think there's enough smoke around Willingham that the Pirates are really making a play to get him. It looks like they might add USC native Kevin Slowey, who was on the DL earlier this year and is currently middling in AAA. Not really the move I'd like them to make, but I guess they can get him for cash considerations or some such.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yotz--

    But the point is, for how much people claim "just ignore him, he's a troll, he'll go away," there is a HELL of a lot of attention and effort wasted on acknowledging him. It seems counterintuitive to me.

    -------------------
    Couldnt agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Dan:
    e-peen FTW.

    I wouldn't be opposed to Willingham. He shouldn't cost much and can lend a good enough RH bat. Plus, he would be an improvement over Vile Overpaid. Willingham's average is only 6 points higher, but OPS is 86 points higher and he has 5 more HR and 11 more RBI.

    Plus, with RISP:
    Overbay:
    w/RISP AVG .247 OBP.303 SLG.407 OPS.711
    w/RISP 2 out: .229/.289/.400/.689
    Willingham
    w/RISP AVG .325 OBP.379 SLG.584 OPS.964
    w/RISP 2out: .341/.413/.756/1.169

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here's something interesting. I just posted this on SmizBlog, so this is mainly for the benefit of those that don't patronize that site.

    Pirates chasing Baltimore reliever. This is from mlbtraderumors.com, but I saw Perrotto had mentioned it before as well.

    Pirates Interested In Koji Uehara
    By Tim Dierkes [July 19 at 12:39pm CST]

    12:39pm: The Pirates are looking at the Orioles' Koji Uehara, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Statistically, Uehara is one of the best relievers available. Uehara earns $3MM this year, and a $4MM option for next year vests with 15 more appearances.



    So, presumably, the Pirates would have control of the guy for next year as well. Fits in with their statements of not wanting to rent, necessarily.

    Uehara's stats:

    40 G, 44.0 IP, 1.84 ERA, 23 H, 58 K, 0.705 WHIP

    He's an older guy that presumably pitched in Japan for years. He's been good for the Orioles over the past three years, at least according to the numbers. Likes to nibble on the outside edges against both RH and LH batters, but will go inside more on RH hitters. It looks like he throws mostly in the high-80's, will hit low-90's on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  26. HMMMM a reliever. Not what I think they should go for especially with Beimel back, Meek on the way back and Ohley coming soon, too. Unless the plan is to include a reliever currently on the roster for a power hitter.

    It doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, Neal has made many moves that made no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I apologize. Baseball only for now on.
    I hate speculating on who will be acquired. I get excited about someone and then he isn't acquired. I hope against getting someone and he is, or it's someone out of leftfield anyway.
    Dale,
    How much confidence do you have in Beimel, he seems shaky to me. Sadly he is the second best lefty they have though.

    Roger,
    I would be in favor of Pence or Pena depending upon the cost. We will just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Slightly off topic. The Pirates are supposedly interested in Jason Grilli. I knew his dad, well not really. I use to drink at his bar and met him once when I was in college. He owned a place called "Change of Pace." He pitched for Toronto for a bit and the Syracuse Chiefs in AAA. He was a pretty good guy. A friend of mine was his business partner for a bit. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dale--

    As I've said, I agree it's not exactly Priority Uno to add a reliever. I would hope it's not the only move they have in mind. But here's how I reason it.

    -Meek has been hurt all season, bouncing between the DL and 'pen. When he was in, he wasn't terribly effective. It's possible the team knows something we don't and aren't convinced that Meek will come back and pitch like he did last year.

    -See everything written about Meek, and replace "Meek" with "Ohlendorf." While he'll likely remain on the roster, who knows what he'll look like in rehab.

    -The Pirates' starters have been consistent in NOT going deep into games lately. Alas, I can't find numbers to back that up at the moment. But we as fans were spoiled by the 6- and 7-inning outings the starters were providing early on. Now, they're closer to 5 innings.

    -If you're planning for the postseason - and as crazy as it sounds, the Pirates have to consider it - well, doesn't everyone want pitching depth? It seems like that's always the hot commodity at the deadline, veteran pitching depth.

    ReplyDelete
  30. "Like the time you used the Aram trade as proof that experts were against NH's plan."

    What in the hell are you talking about? Aram was traded by DL in 2003 for a bag of balls. You must have me confused with someone else because I know I never wrote that.

    "All I'm missing for a Doctoral degree is a dissertation."

    Nothing is more pathetic than someone bragging about how smart they are on the internet. No one is impressed. Kind of like your first banning from Smizblog when you bragged about your Mercedes and told everyone else they were below you because they drove Chevettes or something. You impress no one because you made it all up. I have degrees too but I never brag about them to anonymous people on the internet.

    You are really pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad I was wrong about Beimel, at least last night. What a nerve wracking inning that was. They just keep shocking people. Even here in Rhode Island people are talking about them. They even survived the Regis curse. He mentioned them yesterday morning and they still won. Let's go Bucs.
    Dog

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sharky you know you said you were gonna ignore Dog starting like 10 posts ago and he's all you've talked about since. Maybe you two should just go on a date and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete