Monday, July 25, 2011

Ghosts of Prospects Past

Although there is still time for them to prove us skeptics wrong, it is looking more and more like the Pirates will do little to nothing at the trade deadline this season.

As the PG quoted Neal Huntington this morning about the cost-demands of bringing in talent: "As surprising as it sounds, they've probably gotten worse," he said. "This club deserves something to help them, but at this point the acquisition costs are just so high that it's been a challenge…"
"…I think the fact that we're in a pennant race, I think the fact that we're on pace to break an 18-year streak, the fans are coming out in droves ... if I were in [other teams'] shoes, I would be trying to leverage that as best I could," he said.
I would like to call total bullshit on that newest of lame excuses. Other teams are really raking us over the coals because they realize we are in the midst of an 18 year losing streak? They are upping their trade demands after seeing attendance figures at PNC Park? C’mon. Plus, I thought we weren’t allowed to talk about things in the 18 year timeframe, and the only thing that matters in evaluating this management group is what has occurred over the past 3 seasons? Why are you allowed to (poorly) defend your inaction with the 18 year number, but as fans we are supposed to erase and ignore any information we have assimilated before the year 2008?
For those who are worried about “mortgaging the future” and dealing off some of our highly rated prospects for a short term rental: I understand your legitimate concerns. I would be very hesitant to deal away top notch talent and would hope that the Pirates drive for the best deal possible. As we in Pittsburgh are all too aware of however, even the most highly regarded prospects and talents do not always transform themselves into even adequate major league players.
I now humbly submit the following list of position player prospects I recall, and ask you folks who have been so worried about dealing from the farm system: in retrospect would you not package any number of these guys for someone like say, Hunter Pence, who is a relative guarantee to give you at least 2 years and 2 months of above-average major league service?
In no particular order:
J.R. House
Rajai Davis
Brian Bixler
Andy Laroche
Robinzon Diaz
Luis Cruz
Tike Redman
Chris Duffy
Mark Johnson
Brad Eldred
Abraham Nunez
Emil Brown
Chad Hermansen
J.J. Davis

3 comments:

  1. Pedro has been recalled from AAA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hard on Kdro early this year, but we could really use him to come around and start knocking the ball out of the Park for us.

    Here are my 3 things again I feel the Bucs will need to win this division:

    1) Getting Pedro back on track and hitting like he did last fall
    2) Trading for an additional bat for the middle of the lineup.
    3) The starting pitchers must continue to throw above their career average levels

    If all those things fall into place I would say we have a 30-40% chance of winning this division. If one of them goes bust its down to about 5%. I realize its not the best odds in the world, but its much better than it has been for a long, long time.

    Let's Go Buc(k)s

    ReplyDelete
  3. While, I agree that on the surface the comments do not look good, let's please wait until the deadline passes before we judge the man.

    He may also be using the media as a playing chip in the trading game. Feigning non interest so as not to have to give up the farm for a rental.

    Like I've stated recently, I hope we make a substantial addition. That would be the best case scenario for me. If we stand pat, I will be dissapointed, but OK with it. If we sell off, I will be first in line with a pitchfork, next Monday.

    Lets wait until 8/1 though.

    ReplyDelete