Friday, July 15, 2011

The Long Now

So, this will be set to go off in the year 12,000 or when the Pirates lead all MLB in payroll.

Whichever comes first.





Sorry I've been absent for a few days here, but with the All-Star break and a new book I've been waiting for 5 years to come out being released on Tuesday, all of my free time was basically spent reading.

One of my favorite things about the internet is when you are searching for stuff online and you stumble upon very interesting things that are completely unrelated to what you were originally looking for.

If you get some free time today, check out this crazy-awesome group of engineers/computer programmers I discovered while doing a search for Welsh Languages (don't ask) who are building a clock in a mountain that will be 200 feet tall and set to run for the next 10,000 years!


I wonder if the Pirates will have a winning season by the year 11,999?!? Is this part of the omnipotent front office’s “long term plan” for competing? (It’s a joke folks, so you don’t have to jump all over me in the comments about it…)


Anyway, here is an inspirational quote from those crazy dreamers to kick of the start of the 2nd half of the season. If they can be so dedicated to something so far in the future, maybe it can give us a little perspective about our longest losing franchise in the history of professional sports.

"I cannot imagine the future, but I care about it. I know I am a part of a story that starts long before I can remember and continues long beyond when anyone will remember me. I sense that I am alive at a time of important change, and I feel a responsibility to make sure that the change comes out well. I plant my acorns knowing that I will never live to harvest the oaks.

I want to build a clock that ticks once a year. The century hand advances once every 100 years, and the cuckoo comes out on the millennium. I want the cuckoo to come out every millennium for the next 10,000 years."

2 comments:

  1. The world's gonna end in 2012, John Cusak told me.

    This clock is worthless.

    ReplyDelete